Thursday, December 26, 2013

DIY: Football Blanket

DIY: Football Blanket

Since I have spent LOTS of money on the house and house projects, 
I decided to be a bit, frugal if you will, this holiday and make some gifts! 

One gift I made was for Ryan's 2 year old nephew!
 Being a future sun devil (whether he want to be or not :))
 I decided to make him a football blanket with an ASU pattern!

I've seen this project on pinterest and always thought it was adorable! 
I decided to give it a try, and I am very happy 
with how it turned out!
I hope he likes it! 




Ryan said I should open an Etsy store! 

haha :)

Materials:
2 yards of brown minky dot fabric
2 yards of ASU flannel (?) fabric
white ribbon
scissors
pins
white thread
clear thread
needle
sewing macine

Steps:
1. All the tutorials I read before starting this project said to use only 1 yard of fabric, but those tutorials featured little babies. Parker is two, so I wanted to make sure the blanket would be big enough for him to actually cuddle up with and use, therefore, I bought 2 yards of each fabric

** I did have some extra fabric left over, maybe you only need 1 1/2 yards**

2. Take the brown minky dot fabric (I LOVE this fabric, it's so soft!) and fold it twice till you get two sides that are folded. It should look like a rectangle.

                 A.  I printed off THIS pattern to use for an outline of the football shape. I was nervous at first because I knew if I messed up I would have to go buy more fabric! This pattern really helped! But since it was a pattern for one yard of fabric, I modified it a bit. I separated the piece to make it bigger and just eyeballed it to where I thought it would be big enough. 

With some scissors and hope, I cut out my football!


In the end, the football had rounded sides, not pointy like an actual football, but I still like it! :)

3. Lay down the brown fabric and grab the white ribbon. Cut two longer stands for each side of the football. Line them up to where you think they look good, then pin into place. 
I sewed these down before starting the middle laces
Cut ribbon to desired size for the middle lace. Place one ribbon horizontal,
 and four strands up and down.
Here is how mine looked



Pin in place a sew
You can either hand sew it, or use the machine.
Machine is faster :)

** I sewed the horizontal ribbon first, then went on to the others**

** i just made one line down the middle of the ribbon**

The ribbon I bought frayed at the ends, so after they were sewed on, I had to go around and hand stitch the ends down or else you could of pulled the ribbon until there was no more.

I didn't want to take that chance with a two year old :)
Or the washing machine for that matter

4. Once the football side is complete, lay down the sports pattern and cut it to match the football shape.
Make sure the two ends you want facing up in the end, are facing each other. 

** The bottom fabric should be face up, with the top fabric face down**

5. Pin around the blanket
When sewing make sure you leave an opening so you can pull 
the blanket inside out, to where the 
right side of the fabric is showing

6. Use a needle with the clear thread, and hand sew the spot you left open.

7. Cuddle up and enjoy :)





I know I am not the best at explaining things, but I hope this helps.

:)






No comments:

Post a Comment