Monday, December 2, 2013

DIY Personalized Baby Blanket

DIY Personalized baby blanket!

I wanted to make my best friend's baby (aka my "nephew" :)) a cute little blanket to give them while they were coming to town for Thanksgiving! I also thought it would be cute to have his name on the blanket and this is what I came up with!




Materials
1 yard of minky dot fabric
1 1/4 yard (whatever color, theme, pattern you want)
**ask to get a yard cut separately from the 1 1/4 yard**
White (or color of your choice) thread
clear thread
needle
sewing machine
pins
ruler
scissors
pen


1. Print out letters on the computer. Make sure they are the size you want
 them to be on the blanket. I would go a little bigger than you expect
 because when you sew them on,
 you might lose some of the width.
 (I did with the "S" and "O")
* Bubble letters are easier to trace and cut out of the material!*

2. Once they are printed, cut them out to use as a stencil on the non-minky fabric. 
Trace around the letter and cut.



3. Once all the letters are cut out, place them on the minky fabric where you want them to go. Space them out how you want and when you get them in place where you want them, use the pins to pin them into place.



4. Since my fabric had a white background, I used white thread to hand- stich around the letters. I just did a basic stitch on the ends to connect the letter to the minky fabric. 
*While sewing, I started from underneath, went through the letter
 and looped it down through the minky to attach them together* 
Its not all neat and pretty, but you really can't tell when the letter is finished.

5. Once all the letters are sewn on, I used to ruler to make sure the name was centered, and cut excess so there was the same amount of space on both sides of the name.

6. Lay down the second fabric (same as the letters) face down, with the minky fabric face up. The two sides you want on the blanket will be facing each other.

7. Pin ends together and sew around the blanket with a sewing machine. I used white thread. When you get to the last side, only sew up until you have about 1/4 left of the way to the end.



8. Pull the blanket through the opening you left, so the fabric is right side up. 

9. Use clear thread to sew the remaining opening of the blanket. A trick to make it look more natural is the tuck the ends in a little to make it look like the rest of the blanket's edge. 

Excuse the horrible pictures, my camera was not cooperating with me!






Hope you like your blanket Grayson! I love you and can't wait to see you again! :)



2 comments:

  1. We love it!!! I'll have to send you a picture of him playing on it :) Thank you so much for the sweet gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad he likes it!! I loved making it for him! :)

    ReplyDelete